Michigan Steelhead and Salmon Fishermen’s Association
The purpose of the Michigan Steelhead & Salmon Fisherman’s Association shall be the protection, promotion, and enhancement of sport fishing in Lakes Michigan, Huron, Superior, Erie and connecting waterways. MSSFA actively pursues the preservation and improvement of the Great Lakes ecosystem.
MSSFA participates in the promulgation and enforcement of conservation and safety laws relating to sport fishing.
MSSFA promotes and assists in public education relating to sport fishing and environmental conservation.
MSSFA promotes and assists in research of the natural and human factors affecting fishing.
MSSFA interacts with public and private entities in Michigan and those states and provinces bordering the waters in its venue for the exchange of information relating to sport fishing.
MSSFA works to improve and promote our sport fishing resource, including salmon & steelhead fishing in the Great lakes and the adjoining waters and rivers.
MSSFA assesses, raises and disburses funds to achieve its objectives.
MSSFA’S future is to protect our fishery. This is a Billion-dollar industry for our state.
WHAT DOES MSSFA DO?
- The MDNR’S watchdog
- Maintains net pen projects
- Instrumental in fish plants
- Works to establish fish cleaning stations
- Works to establish access sites
- Stresses the involvement of children in the sport of fishing by having a Junior Membership
- Works with the government to promote the wise management of the Great Lakes and their connecting waters
- Donates lures to the MDNR for the coded Wire Tag Project
We urge you to join a Chapter of the MSSFA. We are a progressive organization working to protect and enhance our sport fishery.
MSSFA Chapters take part in a number of activities in their local areas. Some of the activities include:
- Spring boat and fishing shows
- Take under privileged kids fishing
- Support graduate students going into fisheries management with scholarships and/or grants
- Sponsor free fishing seminars and clinics
- Chapter bulletins/newsletters
- Work with various civic groups: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Big Brothers/Sisters, seniors and many more
Visit the MSSFA Web-Site www.mssfa.com